OPEN DAILY
Mon - Sat 11am-7pm
Sun 11am - 4pm
Dine-In Only

157 Years of Sweet Memories
For over a century, Goolrick's Pharmacy has been more than a pharmacy. It’s been a gathering place, a first-date spot, an after-school tradition, and a beloved piece of downtown Fredericksburg history.
As one of America’s oldest continuously operating soda fountains, our story is rooted in tradition, community, and timeless treats that generations have grown to love.
For many, a visit to Goolrick's Pharmacy isn’t just about ice cream, it’s about revisiting memories and creating new ones in a place that feels frozen in time in the best possible way.
Goolrick's has endured as one of Fredericksburg's most cherished traditions.








1732
First title on record for the property
1790's
Record of domestic residence on property
1807
Building destroyed by fire
1808
First iteration of the building (domestic residence) was built at 901 Caroline Street by Benjamin Botts
1822
First record of business at 901 Caroline St (Tailor Shop)
1869
W. B. Goolrick and Dr. C. A. Jones purchase F. J. Hoomes' drug store on Caroline Street. The Fredericksburg Ledger reports it on April 13. Goolrick's begins.
1874 - 1921
Operated by pharmacist Keating Nelson Goolrick
1892
W. B. Goolrick buys the building itself from Newton Beckwith, whose tin shop had occupied it since 1876. The business and its home are finally under one name
1897
Fire. W. B. hands the business to his son K. Nelson in June. Weeks later, an August fire destroys the entire stock. The Free Lance reported K. Nelson was asleep above the store and had to be led out through the smoke by a bystander. They rebuilt and renamed it Goolrick's Modern Pharmacy in February 1898.
1898
The Daily Star Advertises Goolrick's as the "Coldest Soda"
1910
First business filing as Goolrick's Modern Pharmacy
Operated by Pharmacist W.J. Lacy (d. 1933)
1919
Fire. Started at the stationery store at 905, destroyed 905, 907, and 909. Goolrick's crew carried the stock out into the street and saved it.
1927
Building completely remodeled
1942
Flood
1952
Third floor removed, flat roof installed
1958
Storefront rebuilt
1973
Goolrick's family sold to Gordon Worthington Company
1976
Sold to Pharmacist Charles P. Rector
Operated by the Rector Family Pharmacists (father and grandfather of Charles Rector)
1997
Sold to Pharmacist Stephen May
2019
Business leased to Pharmacist Christopher Conder
2022
Pharmacist Christopher Condor sold to Jarrell Properties Inc.
2026
Goolrick's Soda Fountain reopens to the public
-
Historical research by the Marker Committee of the Historic Fredericksburg Foundation, Inc. Principal researcher: William J. Shorter, March 2024.
